What is the relationship between A Profile of Older Americans: 2016 and the ANA Standards and Scope of Practice Nursing?
Many in the nursing profession would argue that there is a significant shortage of gerontological nurses. This observation is startling considering the National Institute on Health reports a “gerontological explosion” of older adults in the United States and around the world. Gerontological nursing is an often-neglected area in basic nursing education. In this discussion topic, we will look at the reasons why gerontological nursing is an underserved area of practice. After reading and viewing the required instructional materials, draft a response to the following questions: 1. What does the term “gerontological nurse” mean to you? 2. Why do you think so few students choose gerontological nursing as a specialty? 3. What would increase interest in this area of nursing? 4. What is the relationship between A Profile of Older Americans: 2016 and the ANA Standards and Scope of Practice Nursing?
Your initial post must be posted before you can view and respond to colleagues, must contain minimum of two (2) references, in addition to examples from your personal experiences to augment the topic. The goal is to make your post interesting and engaging so others will want to read/respond to it. Synthesize and summarize from your resources in order to avoid the use of direct quotes, which can often be dry and boring. No direct quotes are allowed in the discussion board posts.
Post a thoughtful response to at least two (2) other colleagues’ initial postings. Responses to colleagues should be supportive and helpful (examples of an acceptable comment are: “This is interesting – in my practice, we treated or resolved (diagnosis or issue) with (x, y, z meds, theory, management principle) and according to the literature…” and add supportive reference. Avoid comments such as “I agree” or “good comment.”
· Initial Post: Fri, Oct 1 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US.
· Response Post: Sun, Oct 3 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US – (the response posts cannot be done on the same day as the initial post).
· Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1) from peer-reviewed references.
· Response posts: Minimum of one (1) total reference: one (1) from peer-reviewed or course materials reference per response.
· Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1) page)
· Response posts: Minimum 100 words excluding references.
Note: Since it is difficult to edit the APA reference in the Blackboard discussion area, you can copy and paste APA references from your Word document to the Blackboard discussion area. Points will not be deducted because of format changes in spacing.